Friday, November 19, 2010

WILDFIRE, Chicago

I remember that I loved swimming in Lake Michigan,next to the highest building(Wellis Tower) in the USA, walking on the long flat avenues, crossing across the river on iron/wooden bridges, taking photos of the beautiful city. The only thing I don't want to remember is November cold. Yeah, Here I am in Chicago once again. Getting off the train at Chicago station and walking whole downtown area in this cold but adorable place. I promise my fellows that I'll be their dark knight in this dark night. I should warm them up. If I can't, I'll let someone else or some place do it. Thanks God that I made a research on Google and found this fun place before we hit the road. That place is Wildfire and the people are of course Wildfire's talented cooks and servers. One of Chicagoans' most favorite open fire steak&seafood restaurant. I didn't know it was this popular before entering that door but when I saw there wasn't any empty table in a quite big salon, I realized who I was dancing with. Yeah we had two options, waiting for between half an hour and fourty five minutes or sitting on the high chairs and tables next to bar area. None of us wanted to wait one more second so we did what other 30-40 people did. It was unbelievably crowded inside and for a second I thought 'you must be insane to work at such place like this'. It's only Thursday and almost end of the month.

Anyways I looked up the wine menu first and saw 'Wildfire Chardonnay'. I decided right at that moment. I thought it was pretty cool that a restaurant in Chicago had vinyards.But when I asked the waiter,he told me they are getting it from a vinyard called Mountain View in California. Nevertheless, the idea of having their own brand was still impressive. I chose "London broiled" sword fish with oven roasted tomatoes and red onions,completed by potato gratin. Both my friends got " grilled skirt steak(medium) with veggies". I decided to eat seafood when I picked Chardonnay but it was really quite an experience. I was very happy with my choice. Fish was just like how it should have been. Crispy out and soft inside, very oceanic flavour, takes you to seaside. Also someone else was happy on the other side. I haven't tasted such a soft, well tenderized steak for sometime. I love Americans not marinating the beef with herbs such as thyme or rosemary. They season it just before cooking and let it meet with fire. You taste just meat but nothing else.

I am not described as a wine expert. I am working on it, trying to taste a lot of wines at every chance I get. So for now, My Chardonnay was tasty and easy to swallow.

Oh I almost forgot. Before the dinner, the white roll bread with bacon cubes on and branbread with raisins and anise went through my stomach very well. Also the hand made salty butter. For dessert, we got no empty space.Sorry for not sharing our non occured dessert experience.

For all this nice, tasty experience and fast service, our sin was just 99.73 dollars. Wildfire satisfied three young men with their food and warmed them up with a very nice service.We all think that they deserved every cent of that price. I strongly recommend this place!

1 comment:

  1. You described it spotlessly body, that guys really did warm us up with their delicious food and warm ambience ( and not to mention that open fire :)
    Although you were right about my bad wine pairing i could not help my desire to discover wildfire's Chardonnay and Skirt Steak :) well im happy with my choice after all:) (Chardonnay went great with that breads and butter by the way)
    That smoky taste of Skirt Stake was really splendid, add the open fire's intense bitter tasty smoke to American's profession on pure Meat and that is what you get at Wildfire.
    I must confess you did a better choice then me about wine pairing but in the name of being more conscious eater and drinker i did a little research about Chardonnay, here is the result;

    Chardonnay With food:

    Due to the wide range of styles, Chardonnay has the potential to be paired with a diverse spectrum of food types. It is most commonly paired with roast chicken and other white meats such as turkey. Heavily oak influenced Chardonnays do not pair well with more delicate fish and seafood dish. Instead, those wines tend to go better with smoked fish, spicy southeast Asian cuisine, garlic and guacamole dips. The regional influences of Chardonnay can help it pair with different food styles. Chardonnays from Washington, which is characterized by maintaining more acidity, tend to pair well with tomato-based dishes and items featuring sweet onions. Older, more mellow Chardonnays are often paired with more "earthy" dishes like mushroom soup and aged cheese.

    Hope to share more great dinners with you like this. Take care my friend "Viva mangiareeeeee"

    ReplyDelete